When I first started reading about Tom Joad I was surprised at how he acted and how he said things in a certain way. How he asked the truck driver for a ride, he said it in a way that gave me the idea that he thought he was better than the truck driver. "Sure - I seen it. But sometimes a guy'll be a good guy even if some rich bastard makes him carry a sticker." he put his words together so he basically cornered the driver so that he did not have a good outcome with either option, either way he was doing something bad. Also how at the end of the ride he casually told the truck driver that he was just released from jail and it was for killing someone, he told him with a smile on his face and acted like he did not care. His personality makes me think that he is devious and is a bad man. Also how the whole car ride Tom acted like he was not interested in what the driver was talking about, and how he kept smoking and drinking. When he talked about going to his dad’s house it sounded to me that he did not want to go home because he could not answer a lot of the drivers questions about his father, but in actuality it was just him not knowing because he had been in jail. The poor view the rich like they have had no impact by the economy or the Dust Bowl, and the poor just think that they are spoiled. He is a confusing character I was not expecting him to say he killed a man, the rest of the book should be interesting I can not guess what he is going to do.
Meredith,
ReplyDeleteYou done a nice job with this post. I like that you've used textual evidence to back up your claims about Tom. Be sure to include a perspective that shows how the poor may view the rich based on the conversation between Tom and the truck driver.
As is this post scores a 3.
Meredith,
ReplyDeleteYour addition is nice, but you may want to continue the conversation about how the poor view the rich a bit more.
As this is the first post - it scores a 4.