I like the book after I have read the chapters but during the reading part I find it difficult to relate or stay awake. But after I have read the chapters I enjoy the message that is being said in them. I always feel behind on my reading, so when I am not reading I feel like it is a burden to read and that it is not fun.
I am enjoying The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck because I like how the story is fast moving, there are not long periods of time where they are not doing anything. An example of what I mean is on page 114. "Al slipped in the low gear and let in the clutch. The truck shuddered and strained across the yard. And the second gear took hold. They crawled up the little hill, and the red dust arose about them." I think this is a good example because it shows that they did not wait a long time to get going and to leave the farm.
So far, the plot, characters, and themes in The Grapes of Wrath remind me of something important in my life. For me, when I had to move I had to leave my old house for my new one. Although it is not even close to comparing to what the families during the Dust Bowl had to do which was seeing their house get destroyed, leaving most of their possessions, and leaving animals. I think that the big idea of this book will be to be thankful for what you have in your life and do not take anything for granted.
I am looking forward to reading the rest of this book because I would like to see how the book ends. Also I would like to see what the message is behind the book. What's probably going to happen next is the Joad’s get to California and discover that there really is no jobs and that the land there is just as bad as to where they came from.
Meredith,
ReplyDeleteI like seeing your thinking in print. You've done a nice job of using metacognition and finding connections with the novel.
This post scores a 4.